Evaluation question 2: how effective is the combination of your main product and ancillary tasks?



This is the final version of my film; "The Detective". I followed a simple narrative, from the perspective of the protagonist detective. This was to allow the audience to empathise with the character, even if his morals are a bit questionable. This was achieved by the character being present in all scenes throughout. In order to further establish a noir feel, as well as the visuals and story, the sound was important. As the noir i had previously viewed for my research mainly consisted of a smooth jazz soundtrack, i looked online for copyright free jazz that fitted what i was looking for. After much searching, I eventually found a website full of free jazz music: http://incompetech.com/m/c/royalty-free/index.html?genre=Jazz
I listened to them all and decided on two tracks. The first one had an aire of ambiguity to it, which i thought would fit the scene perfectly. For the second track, i wante something downbeat, a bit melancholy, but still sounded very noir. I eventually found that, and included it for the final couple of scenes, concluding in the final hanging scene, where the music fades out to a slow motion shot. I hoped this would instill a sort of reflection within the audience.

For my poster, i wanted something that looked quite artistic, but still inspired any potential viewers to go and watch the film. I chose to use a single frame from the film as the background for the poster. It was a shot of the back of the detectives head, as he was walking towards a house. I hoped this would interest the viewer enough to watch it, but still retain a good amount of myster surrounding the film. This was particularly important for me, as mystery is a key staple in Film Noir. As well as looking good, a poster also has to include institutional information, as this might entice more hardcore film viewers. I included this, aswell as the certificate, so people would be aware of wether they could watch it or not. I made sure that it fit in with rest of my tasks aesthetically. This was done by using only a simple colour scheme, mainly black and white, but also a dash of red. Although my film is black and white, i believe the slight use of red makes it more visually pleasing, and still manages to retain a noir mood. Using photoshop to create my poster, i utilised the use of shadow on the text, making it stand out more. Also, shadows are another convention of film noir.

For my review, i again tried to create an interesting layout, which also serves a piece of noir. I used images form my film to decorate the artice, and so that the reader would be able to recognise it better. An identical colour scheme was used, establishing a definate link between all three of my products. I inclued a small box entitled "key facts", to ensure that even if the reader was just flicking through the magazine, they would still be awarr of the film, and know quite a bit of necessary information. For the write up, i tried to make it as accurate as possible, including important aspects of the film in the review, such as actors, the director, and illusions to other films. Also, it's a lot easier to write critically about yourself than it is to be full of praise. I figured any attempts to write a positive review would be insincere. To ensure my layout was as close to a real product as possible, i closely followed the design from an already existing review:

No comments:

Post a Comment