Evaluation question 3: What have you learnt from audience feedback?

I guess one of  the most important lessons I learnt from audience feedback would be to actually listen to people. As I was working by myself (mainly down to my own arrogance and stubbornness) I never got any opinions on what I was doing as I was doing it. Everything that got done was entirely down to me, and as my "people skills" are generally pathetic, I never consulted anyone for a second opinion, to check if my work was okay, and what could be done if it wasn't. Looking back, it probably wasn't the best move.
Also, another thing I should of done was produce a rough cut and shown it to people. This would allow me to make much needed improvements. Instead, I only showed my film once it was all completed. This meant problems with it couldn't be fixed, but that is also in parts down to my poor time keeping.

Once my film was all done, I messaged some people over Facebook to get their reactions to it. This is what they had to say:




Generally, the response was positive, which surprises me quite a bit. Although I have to wonder if they weren't confronted in the way they were, whether the response would be the same. A message directly from the creator of the film could make it hard for some people to outright criticize it. The features most praised were:

  • Music
  • Camera work
  • Lighting
  • Story
And my personal favourite, "wasn't a romcom"

Negative points raised by the audience feedback mainly concern:

  • Steadiness of camera
  • Problems with acting
  • Audio distortion
  • Small production mistakes (tripod shadow, visible lamp) 

If I was to re-shoot the film, I would take into account all of what people have said. I would take into consideration the shakiness of the camera, utilizing the tripod as much as I could, and doing less shots by holding the camera. Although this would make it harder for shots in which the camera needs to move around freely. I would take more time into finding proper actors for all the parts, instead of the major parts. I didn't take into account how amateur the final product may look just by having my non-acting friends in it for a couple of lines. Also, I would not be in it. I would make sure all shots where someone looks directly into the camera are re-filmed. On set, I would ensure all props and equipment be out of shot, to ensure they, or their shadows, appear on film. In the editing suite, I would equalise the volume levels, and turn the dialogue track down, so distortion doesn't occur.

No comments:

Post a Comment