Evaluation Question 4. How did you use new media technologies in the construction and research, planning and evaluation stages?

.

1) iMovie - This is the software I used to import all footage and edit the film. The whole process was a lot smoother than last year, as i was already used to the program, and all its functions.This allowed me to use effects that made up my film, such as black & white and slow motion for the final shot. However, the same limitations affected me this year as well. These included minimal timelines, only 2 for visuals and one for audio. this meant I had a lot less freedom in my editing technique, having to compress all footage onto 2 timelines. Apart from that, the main problem I have with the software is the titling feature, which frustrated me just as much this year. It is virtually impossible to get the desired results by using this feature. It is incredibly limited in what it can achieve, which is mostly basic text appearing on screen. As a result, I had to title my film in such a way that could be done with the software.


2) Flickr - Flickr is a website where users upload and share images. As a result, it has one of the internets largest image collections. This was useful for me when I needed images for planning and research, as well as in the construction of my moodboard.


3) Facebook - Facebook is the largest social networking site in the world. It allows people to contact each other and for easy sharing of information. I used it to send people a link to my film, and to keep track of their responses. This allowed me to get proper feedback regarding my film.


4) Slideshare - This allows me to upload presentations / documents from my hard drive to the internet, allowing me to demonstrate the full extent of my planning and research. It also made the blog more interesting, as I tried not to make it too text heavy as far as I could help it.


5) MS Paint - Although it is an incredibly basic image editor, it was sufficient enough to deal with what I needed it for, which was the creation of the moodboard, and the image above. For more sophisticated editing, I turned to Photoshop.


6) Photoshop Elements - This was the main software I used for image manipulation. This is down to the fact that it offers a wide range of effects and filters, and is also user friendly. With no experience of the software, it wan't long before I became competent enough to use it for what I needed it for. I used it in the creation of my poster and film review.


7) Blogger - Blogger allows me to display my work neatly and concisely in one place.  I used it last year for my AS coursework, so I knew what I was doing this time.


8) Google - Google is the largest and most well known search engine on the internet. I used it constantly throughout the production, mainly for research details, or to find out about anything that I was looking for.


9) Youtube - Youtube is a video hosting website, where users can upload their own videos and share them across the internet. This allowed me to look at previous A2 work, and examples of genuine Film Noir, to inspire my work, and to ensure I knew what I was doing. Also, after my film was all shot and edited, I uploaded it onto Youtube, to show others for the evaluation, and to upload it to the blog itself.


10) Sony Handycam - The camera I used was a fairly standard portable camcorder, nothing too fancy. This was ideal for my film, as it didn't require any advanced trickery. The only feature I used was the zoom, but i regret that now as I feel it looks unprofessional and unnecessary.


Also worth noting was the use of the Mac itself. As someone more accustomed to the operating systems of Windows, learning to use a mac efficiently is a challenge which I improved at over the course of the year. Not included on the chart above is use of a tripod, which is important for getting a perfectly framed shot, without the shaking. Also, I used Open Office to create presentations, questionnaires and the script, all of which I uploaded to the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment